Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Chicken Gyros

Found this recipe in a Penzey's catalog that Deb L. had. I guess Penzey's is a great spice store in the Cities and once you buy from them, you get a monthy magazine/catalog full of recipes. This one looked delish, so we tried it, and weren't disappointed. :) Even the boys ate the chicken and pitas. Tucker devoured the chicken!

I didn't measure the seasonings for the chicken breasts- just sprinkled some on, but I know I didn't use nearly as much mint or oregano. A light sprinkle was perfect! I used regular mint (not sure if it was spearmint), and regular oregano.

For the tzatziki sauce, I just squirted a little store bought lemon juice (didn't measure). I also didn't measure the mint or dill. I know I used way less mint (thought it would be a bit overpowering). Not sure how much dill I added- but I used freeze dried so I wasn't sure if I should go with the dried or fresh measurements. Sprinkling to taste seemed to work just fine. :)

Ingredients:

2 large chicken breasts
1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 - 1/2 tsp pepper
2-3 tsp spearmint
2-3 tsp Turkish oregano

1 Tb olive oil

4 pieces of pita bread
1 c baby spinach
1 thinly sliced red onion
1 tomato, diced
1 cup crumbled Feta cheese

Season the chicken breasts with the salt, pepper, oregano, and mint. Let marinate in the fridge for 30-60 minutes, if possible. Cook the chicken in a pan with the olive oil. Slice into strips. Serve in the pita with the spinach, onion, tomato and Feta. Top with Tzatziki sauce.

Tzatziki Sauce ingredients:

1 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 small cucumber, peeled, seeded and minced
1 lemon- 1 tsp zest and 1/4 - 1/2 cup juice
salt to taste
1/4 tsp pepper
1-2 tsp Dill weed
1 Tb olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp spearmint

No comments:

Post a Comment